Penciled In designs books, working directly with authors to publish on-demand.
Established 2004 by Benjamin Daniel Lawless, Penciled In originally began as Lawless’ freelance web development and graphic design business. Penciled In now focuses solely on bringing literature and art to life.
Penciled In‘s book design services bridge the benefits of self publishing and on-demand publishing with classical training in book design.
I am an author. How can I work with Penciled In?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with answers to the following questions:
- What is the title of your book?
- How long will it be?
- Can you provide a Word or Pages file with the entirety of the text of the book?
- Do you have artwork or an idea for the cover of the book? If not, Penciled In can provide options to choose from.
- Will there be artwork inside the book? If so, is it already available or would Penciled In need to provide artwork?
- When do you need this book published by?
- How did you hear about Penciled In?
- What is a phone number and a good time to call you to discuss the specifics of the project?
Once I review all files, I will send an invoice and a timeframe for the project. Half of the payment will be due before work can begin, with the other half due upon completion of the project.
Do I retain rights to my book?
Where do you get books printed?
Penciled In can work with any printer, but for the last several years Penciled In’s authors have almost exclusively printed through CreateSpace (which is now Kindle Direct Publishing), industry leaders in on-demand publishing.
Once Penciled In finishes design and the book is uploaded to Kindle Direct Publishing, they set up an Amazon page and handle all order fulfillment. If an author needs to purchase copies for themselves or as gifts, they can purchase any number of books directly through Kindle Direct Publishing at a reduced rate. The reduced rate varies for each project based on number of pages and other details.
I am a publisher. How can I work with Penciled In?
Penciled In often provides book design services to other publishers. Please answer the above questions as well as:
- Have you already purchased ISBNs?
- Will you require any other services?